- Stable: http://nongnu.org/ranger/ranger-stable.tar.gz
- Testing: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/ranger.git/snapshot/ranger-master.tar.gz
- More downloads: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/ranger.git/refs/tags
Unpack the archive, enter the directory and run ranger:
If you want to conventionally install it, for example for a multi-user system, you can run this command:
Get ranger with git
git is the version control system used to manage the source code of ranger. Install it, then type:
You can also browse the source code.
The advantage of git is that you get lots of useful commands for keeping the code up to date and merging your own changes with the upstream code. Here is a selection of commands. For more details, please read the fine manual.
Signed PackagesIf you want to be sure of the authenticity of the snapshot, please download ranger-stable.tar.gz and its signature, then verify the signature with the author's public key: huterich.gpg.
If this prints 'Good signature from "huterich <firstname.lastname@example.org>"', the signature was verified. However, you can only trust the authenticity of the snapshot as much as you trust the authenticity of the public key. Please ensure that the key really belongs to Roman Zimbelmann alias hut by verifying it from multiple sources. Once you are sure, you can sign the key with your own signature as described here to avoid the warning that says "This key is not certified with a trusted signature! There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner."
This is a list of all released packages since 1.2.2 with their signatures:
- ranger-stable.tar.gz - signature
- ranger-1.6.1.tar.gz - signature
- ranger-1.6.0.tar.gz - signature
- ranger-1.5.5.tar.gz - signature
- ranger-1.5.4.tar.gz - signature
- ranger-1.5.3.tar.gz - signature
- ranger-1.5.2.tar.gz - signature
- ranger-1.5.1.tar.gz - signature
- ranger-1.5.0.tar.gz - signature
- ranger-1.4.4.tar.gz - signature
- ranger-1.4.3.tar.gz - signature
- ranger-1.4.2.tar.gz - signature
- ranger-1.4.1.tar.gz - signature
- ranger-1.4.0.tar.gz - signature
- ranger-1.2.3.tar.gz - signature
- ranger-1.2.2.tar.gz - signature
Slackware: There is a stable version of ranger in SlackBuilds
Debian: There is a stable version of ranger in sid
Gentoo: Stable versions of ranger are in Portage
FreeBSD: py-ranger in the ports